This was my first ever quiche! (That I made, not consumed). The recipe originated from the Weight Watcher’s website and can be found here. What caught my eye was that the main ingredients include a whole lot of cheese.
One of the biggest challenges was finding a pre-made pie crust, and finding the cheeses in lower fat, or lighter variations. Normally, this wouldn’t be a big deal, but apparently everyone wanted to buy ricotta cheese this week. We were able to find fat free cheddar, and low fat ricotta, which was lower in fat than the part-skim kind.
So, here’s the recipe!
Easy Cheesy Quiche
6 oz, or a 9″ refrigerated pie crust
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 of a medium red onion
1 1/4 cup low fat ricotta cheese
1 cup fat free cheddar cheese
1 whole egg
2 egg whites
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
10 oz of frozen broccoli, or spinach thawed and drained, or fresh zucchini diced. (Broccoli was used this time around. I also forgot to thaw it out ahead of time, so I ran it under warm water, then drained it. Red pepper would also be a yummy addition)
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
What to do:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375. Press crust into a 9″ pie plate, and set aside in the refrigerator until needed.
2. Heat oil in a small skillet on medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft. Transfer onion to a large bowl.
3. Add the following ingredients to the onion, ricotta cheese, cheddar cheese, egg and egg whites, Dijon mustard, dried oregano salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Fold in broccoli and or other vegetables.
5. Spoon mixture into crust and level it out with a spoon. Top with Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
7. Cut into 8 pieces. Each piece is 6 points.