I had the taste for something Mexican, and found a lonely can of Enchilada sauce in the back of the pantry. I searched for recipes and ultimately decided to just do my own thing. Surprisingly, they came out fantastic!
Olive oil spray
1/2 large onion (diced)
1 zucchini (diced)
1/2 green pepper (diced)
1/2 red pepper (diced)
3 gloves of garlic, minced
ground coriander and ground cumin to taste (about 1/2 tsp of each)
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen spinach
1 can tomatoes with green chiles, drained
1 can black beans
8 whole wheat tortillas
2 cups shredded cheese (I used a mixture of fat free cheddar and reduced fat Mexican blend because that’s what was in our fridge)
1 can of red enchilada sauce
Yes, there are a lot of ingredients, that is why it will clear out your kitchen. I assure you, despite the long list, these were easy to make.
1. Chop/dice onion, zucchini, and peppers. To save time use a food chopper. I suppose you could also use a food processor, but we do not own one.
2. Spray a large pan with olive oil. Add garlic, onion, zucchini and peppers. Cook over medium/high heat stirring frequently for about 3 minutes.
3. Add spinach (mine was partially thawed), corn, drained tomatoes, un-drained black beans and spices to taste. Continue to cook until it is simmering. After this step, the veggie mixture should look similar to this.
4. Line a baking dish with foil to make for easier clean up. Take 1 tortilla, sprinkle cheese in the middle, spoon a heaping spoonful of veggie mixture into the middle. Roll up the tortilla and repeat with the remaining tortillas laying them into the baking dish as you go. I ended up with some veggie mixture left over.
5. Using a spoon, spread enchilada sauce evenly over the top of the stuffed tortillas. Top with remaining cheese.
6. Bake for 7-10 minutes on 350, until cheese is melted. Decided that one serving is two enchiladas, so 4 servings in total.
I served it with a side of Spanish Rice. Uncle Ben’s microwaveable packages are a life saver!
Most notably, my husband who claims to “hate vegetables” ate these and loved them. I have never seen him eat so many vegetables in one sitting, let alone like it! The leftovers also made for a tasty lunch.