Yesterday, I stopped at the store on my way home to pick up a couple of things. A huge smile spread across my face when, for the first time ever, I finally saw canned artichokes in water…not oil! My brain started cranking out ideas of what I could make with this.
When I was little and we would go visit my Grandma out of town she would always take us out to eat. One of her favorite restaurants was a place called Antonio’s. The pizza there was good, but the salad was AMAZING! And it was so simple, lettuce, toasted pepperonis, cheese and a really tasty house dressing. That salad sure would taste good with some artichokes! I had everything I needed at home already, so I decided to make this.
It tasted great, and brought back memories of my Grandma.
Healthy Italian Style Salad
- lettuce (any type or spinach)
- 12 slices of turkey pepperioni
- 8 medium sized black olives, sliced
- 5 or more artichoke quarters (packed in water)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced fat Italian Cheese
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- dried basil (to taste)
- Toast the turkey pepperoni in the toaster oven. If you do not have a toaster oven you can just use your oven, set on broil.
- Put the lettuce in the bowl. Top with olives, artichokes, pepperoni and cheese.
- Drizzle olive oil and red wine vinegar on top. Add ground black pepper and dried basil to taste.
I just realized I could have also added tomato!
If you are on Weight Watchers this recipe prepared as is has a PP value of 7. Looking to save a few points? Omit the cheese and then it would only be 4 PP.